• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Cold new potatoes

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by baletki, Mar 11, 2012.

1. tu1ck

tu1ck Well-Known Member

Cold new potatoes

Cold cooked potatos are vile but it won't make any difference to their chemicla structure whether reheated or not, it's a potato, pretty basic combination of starch and water mainly.

2. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Cold new potatoes

I sometimes take a tin of new potatoes to work if i cant be ar55ed cooking the rice, they have been cooked before tinned obviously and like you say it makes a nice change, its not going to kill you or make you fat.
      btw 25g of rice is a very low carb source even if cutting, i usually take in 85g of brown rice with fish or venison

3. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

Cold new potatoes

Okay, sorry, I was just asking as I was eating my lunch, the thought popped into my head and it made me hesitate. My first ever question bombed, doh

Thank you reading and anwering everyone.

4. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

Cold new potatoes

Last edited by Flubs; Today at 03:49 PM.

5. krupnijihbc

krupnijihbc Well-Known Member

Cold new potatoes

No need to apologise. It's only human nature to over think thinks you're passionate about... there may even be some truth in what you say, but even if there is I can't see it making the slightest difference unless you're really pushing the boundaries regarding diet.

6. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Cold new potatoes

It's fine mate eat them cold or hot!

AFAIK - a certain starch molecule converts when they cool, which makes cold potato's slower to digest BUT I was told this isn't bad as they still do digest (you don't crap out a whole potato lol) but they just take longer = e.g. keeping you fuller for longer

7. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

Cold new potatoes

What your nutritionist is talking about is actually quite interesting (to a nutrition nerd like me anyway) - when potatoes are cooked then allowed to cool, a fair portion of the starch rebonds into something called 'type 3 resistant starch'. This starch is one that the body doesn't have an enzyme to break down into simple sugars, so the starch passes through the small intestine similarly to soluble fibre.

At this point intestinal bacteria is able to digest some of it, and a portion of the calorie content is absorbed here (finally ebcoming available as energy) as a fat called butyric acid. This butyric acid when reabsorbed has a very beneficial effect upon the endothelial lining of the intestine. Part of the butyric acid remains here absorbed into the cells of the intestine.

Throughout the process of the digestion of this and other resistant starchs there's a good degree of appetite suppression and improved blood sugar control... basically the stuff acts very similarly to fibre.

So in answer, yes cold potatoes actually offer more health benefit than eating them still warm, especially as the rate of formation of resistant starch is considerable (about 30-40% of the carbs iirc). Resistant starch occurs in beans and a few other foods too but potatoes are the main one as far as I'm aware.

Google 'RS3 Resistant starch' and you should find more info.

Tags: