• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Fear Of Squatting.

Discussion in 'Training' started by remstation, Apr 2, 2012.

1. casse

casse Well-Known Member

Fear Of Squatting.

Like I mentioned in my first reply, I have 2 herniated discs and was told by 3 doctors I needed surgery. I did every treatment possible, but no relief. Also was in a car accident last year and fractured a rib in my back and made my discs worse. I started exercising as my last resort and started squatting just a bar in November just past. Same with deadlifts. Just a bar. It isn't much to talk about, but I'm squatting 100 lbs now for 10 reps and deadlift 135 lbs for 10 reps. This is with 2 herniated discs. Just takes time and dedication. Take a peek at my log I just started on the weekend I have linked in my signature. Tells the whole story there as well as what progress I have made. You just have to get past the fear.

2. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

Fear Of Squatting.

Sounds good.

Good luck in your non-squatting goals of 2012!

3. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Fear Of Squatting.

[​IMG]

Another one for the 'exercises' forum stickies.

4. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Fear Of Squatting.

Pathetic E-Thugs.

5. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

Fear Of Squatting.

dont they have safety bars on the squat rack?so dump it if you start feeling weird,no big deal.

6. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

Fear Of Squatting.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

7. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Fear Of Squatting.

Oy!

Oh... well... I'm not that tall, really.

But I do like dem squats!

Um, where was I... To da OP: just squat. It's a lot like sitting down and back up again. You could even literally do that - it's called box squats (look 'em up). No shame in just lifting dat bar, either, like they said. Hell, you could get used to air squats (aka bodyweight squats) first. Do lots of them in a row, and you should be familiar enough with the movement to start adding weight, gradually.

8. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Fear Of Squatting.

Form vids, early and often. All the time. Even if not posted, they're helpful for self-review.

9. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

Fear Of Squatting.

i was never afraid of squats. but i hated doing them with a passion. When i was in highschool they pushed squats for football like crazy but they never taught form, just loaded the bar and said go. i was resting the bar too high on my neck (hurt like hell) and arched my back on the reps. long story short, i restarted squatting about a year and a half ago, i started at 65 lbs, sets of 8 and now do 3 sets of 10 at 225 (a2g).

the box squats as mentioned above helped me a lot, or try setting the safety catches a little higher than you should to build confidence so you know you wont crush youself (even though you should start light enough that crushing shouldnt be on your mind)

10. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

Fear Of Squatting.

I know I'm repeating what others have said, but seriously... would you be afraid to squat just the barbell? No? Do that.
      Yes? Do bodyweight squats. Get strong and do pistols. Get a grip, make a plan, get to work.

People beat on you here because you come across like a bitch. I am sorry you had a sucky experience back in High School. Bummer that. I realize you were "being spotted", but personally I'd never trust any person to save my ass during a heavy squat gone bad. Anyhow, what are you gonna do about it now?

Tags: