• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Training to failure. Are you doing it right?

Discussion in 'Training' started by Tom White @gymtoto, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Tom White @gymtoto

Tom White @gymtoto Moderator

You have heard it time and time again about training to failure but are you doing it correctly.
      It basically means doing reps till you cant do any more but your probably not getting the full benefit.
      If we use barbell bench press as an example lets say you have a spotter and you manage to get 12 reps out and you literally cant do any more this is failure job done right? Wrong! You have gone to failure on the concentric part of the movement (the pushing up away from your chest part) but you will still have some power in the tank for the eccentric part of the movement (resisting against the lowering of the bar to the chest).
      So get your spotter and get them to lift the bar up and then you slowly resist the movement on way down after you fail concentric part of movement. After a few reps of this then you will have reached failure. This will take you to failure and bring you amazing new muscle growth.

2. Newstarter

Newstarter Well-Known Member

That is something which had never even crossed my mind but it makes perfect sense. Pushing the barbells upwards takes more energy than lowering them down therefore you should have something left in the tank.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. Tom White @gymtoto

Tom White @gymtoto Moderator

Exactly! Try it and let me know how you get on.
      Good luck.

4. MarkB

MarkB Administrator Staff Member

That is very useful! I always assumed the in and the out of any exercise were all part of one exercise. However, your description proves perfectly they are not.